Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Better Late Than Never

 I don't know why it took me so long to invert five gallon buckets and set the garden boxes on them. The ground squirrels have totally consumed 4 other zucchini plants and have eaten the tops off my carrots. Getting them elevated has at least slowed the critters down until they figure out how to now get to them. The bottom photo shows how they can eat plants down to the stem.
I catch them in live traps and let them go down the road but they have developed a craving for peanut butter so they go into the traps and then race me home.  It is a nasty cycle...

2 comments:

JO said...

Put some moth balls in the planters or around them on the deck

Gypsy said...

You are fighting a losing battle with squirrels, as I found out when I lived in the NC mountains and tried to maintain a bird feeder in front of my kitchen window. Nothing I did stopped them. I even bought a toy squirt gun and felt like a total fool sitting at the window, gun in hand. It didn't stop them, and what they didn't get the black bear took. Good luck with your plants.