Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Most Despised Job Done

 This is by and far the most despised job I do each year. I climb up a 6 foot step ladder to reach a platform where I then climb another 25 - 26 feet to change out the wind cap. I can clean the chimney from inside the house but the wind cap has to be cleaned too.
Last year Carol suggested we buy a second wind cap so all I would have to do is carry the clean one up and swap it with the dirty one and then come back down. That sounded like a good suggestion to me and going up and down once is better than twice.
The platform where we place the 40' ladder is about 7 feet off the ground so it is up there 32-33 feet and from up there it looks straight down. This angle from the ground doesn't make it look as steep as it really is. I wear a climbing harness that I hook to the top of the ladder so if I were to fall it would only be a few feet. I guess my heart is in pretty good shape as when I get to the top of the ladder I have to turn around and face out to switch out the wind caps. At that point I'm looking at what seems a long way down with nothing in front of me but air..

I'm always real glad when I make a trip up and down safely. This is one job that won't have to be done until again next year. You would think a mid 70's man would have better sense but I had it done one year and the guy was scared out of his wits when he had to turn around up there and I hate putting anyone through that again. I could see his white knuckles on the ladder from the ground. As long as I'm able I'll just keep doing it. When it is no longer safe I'll find someone who lacks fear to do it because it is very scary from up there especially climbing up and down using one hand to hold the wind cap and one hand to hang onto the ladder.

13 comments:

Lynda D said...

Smart Wife.

Gypsy said...

I don't have much of a fear of heights, but I do have a fear of climbing them!

JennielynnfromMilton said...

Hi Bruce and Carol,

OMG! Your climbing on the roof is the scariest post ever! How can Carol bear watching you do it?

Jennie

Bruce said...

This may be the last time I climb up there Jennie. I may hire someone to do it next time...

Carol said...

Jennie Lynn, Bruce has done this almost every year since we moved here 19 years ago....with the exception of that one year, I think. It is pretty scary for me but in a different way. I pray a lot that he will make it up and down without mishap...and take the pictures!! It was better this year though with only the one trip up and down....used to be two trips!

Patricia said...

Is it possible to rig up some kind of pully device to put the wind cap in so you have two hands free to hang on to that dang ladder? Seriously...I hope you find somebody else to do this for you - and next year!!

Bonnie Miller said...

In anticipation of activities such as roof maintenance and chimney care, we were fortunate to buy a JLG 450 Boom lift. Am paying it off before I retire next year. It is a life saver for my 77 year old husband. Bonnie

Bruce said...

I have used a boom lift a long time ago for trimming a tree. I like them and they are safe but we don't have any level ground to use one here. Our land is on the side of a mountain and I couldn't possibly level one. I think next year I'll just have to hire someone to do the job.
If you have land that will accommodate a boom lift I would recommend one as they are safe, easy to use and practical. Anyone with a boom lift will be the most popular person in the neighborhood for sure. Thanks Bonnie for the reminder of just how practical a boom lift can be. They are costly but so is falling off a roof.

arthurwyckoff said...

Hey Bruce ! Enjoyed reading ur no nonsense account! Saw no way to subscribe to blog, so please send Facebook invite to arthur Wyckoff

Bruce said...

Arthur: There were three listings for Arthur Wyckoff so I sent a friend request to the first one. I'll see if you get it or not.

Carol said...

Hey Arthur. This is Carol, Bruce's wife. Look up at the top of the right hand column. You can put your email address in that space and get notifications when one of us posts on the blog. It is right under the pictures of the "followers".Thanks for watching our life here in the mountains! :)+

Jonathan Hedman said...

Your comments struck a cord with me as a 68 year old and with a few health problems I find myself taking stock of a project before I start and then trying to find non scary ways to get the job done. Right now I am adding a room to the house and the section of roof I need to do is causing me more concern than jobs like that have in the past. Then I realized the last room I built on a house was 30 years ago and a lot has changed since then. I think it is good for all our age to stop and consider better ways to do a job than we used to do it. Just found your site and will be checking in as it is very well done. We are up in Western Maine and while called western for our nearness to New Hampshire it is more really southern maine just about portland. Hope you have a good winter.
jon

Bruce said...

Thanks for stopping in at our site Jonathan and I'm glad you like the blog. We try to post a variety of topics that best describe our lifestyle. Your comment amplifies what us senior citizens should do but in my case I often forget I'm only days from 75 and think I'm much younger. I appreciate your comments and hope you visit us here often and some of what we post benefits you.
We started this blog site many years ago to keep our family and friends who are distant informed on what we were doing. When I started to write blogs for Mother Earth News the site just took off and now we find that people other that family and friends like what we post. Thanks for your visit and come back often - your comments are always welcome as are all informative comments.