Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Flashback


When I saw this sign on Face Book it reminded me of a time when I was in high school and I had gone pheasant hunting with my brother. We were hunting on a farm that my uncle Frank owned. We were going from one corn field to another and we were crossing a pasture that had a single large tree in the center. My brother was quite a ways ahead of me and on the other side of the field was a ditch that spanned about 8' and then a barbed wire fence. As I was about half way through the pasture I heard this snort and looked over and under the tree was a bull throwing large clods of dirt with his hooves and snorting wildly.

It didn't take much to make me take off as fast as I could. At first I thought I had a comfortable lead on the bull but he closed the gap fast and I knew he was close when I heard and felt the ground shake behind me. I managed to get to that ditch first and launched myself to the other side in a single stride and then cleared the fence on the run. The ditch slowed the bull down enough that I barely made it to safety.

When I turned around that bull was tossing clods of dirt with his hooves and I swear his eyes were blood red with anger. From then on I gave that pasture a VERY wide berth. That bull was no one to tempt or mess with.

No comments: