Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 10, 2019

Shrimp Fried Rice

When I was in Alamosa last week grocery shopping I picked up some chicken fried rice which we had for dinner today. It reminded me of the best shrimp fried rice I had ever had. It was a restaurant on Front Street in Jacksonville, Fla.  Back then Front St. was not a place to go as it was a pretty rough area of Jacksonville. Now it is the river walk and has been redone - modern with unique shops, a stadium, high class restaurants and full of friendly atmosphere.

The Chinese restaurant was right next to a pool hall and upstairs in an old dilapidated building.  I'm sure it was family owned and operated as the best way to get your order is point to it on the menu. English was not the spoken language in this restaurant except by the customers.

I worked in down town Jacksonville and all I needed to do for lunch was get on the elevator and go up to the top of our building which had a revolving floor that was a restaurant from which we could look out upon the entire city of Jacksonville. We passed on the lavish restaurant and took our chances down on Front St. to get some outstanding Chinese food instead.

It was in a rough area that you only went into at your own risk but the food in that restaurant was second to none I've ever had and the shrimp fried rice was truly outstanding. Well worth the risk of venturing into a dangerous neighborhood for. I have tried it in several other oriental restaurants over the years but none like that place on Front St.

1 comment:

Gypsy said...

I made some bacon fried rice last week - thought I'd get at least two meals out of it but I ate the whole thing in one sitting!