Total Pageviews

Monday, April 6, 2020

Potato Box

I made this potato box to grow potatoes in. I have a plastic container but the critters manage to get into it and chew up the plants. This one will go on the front deck and there is room for 4 plants in it and I built it high enough so I could put 50% sun screen around the extended posts and it also allows room for the plants to grow upward. I have a screen cap for the top to keep the critters out. It will be in direct sunlight so the sunscreen will mute the harmful rays of the sun. There is a door on the front to dig around to get the potatoes when they are ready. It also has screen covering the bottom to keep critters out. As the plants grow you keep adding potting mix until the dirt gets toward the top of the wooden box. Hopefully I won't have to share potatoes this year with mice, ground squirrels and chipmunks. Now I'm just waiting for it to warm up where it doesn't freeze nights.

The best part of this box is it was totally built out of scrap wood and materials I had on hand so the cost was zero.

No comments: