Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Out Smarting Voles - Not As Easy As It Sounds



I'll be darned if I will be outsmarted by a rodent that weighs 1 oz. I planted a lilac bush here so when  it matured and in the spring when we went out the back door it would smell fragrant. Every winter the voles would tunnel over to it and eat all the way around the base and the stem would die. I have tried various means but they don't seem to work. This year I slit some pool noodles and because they have memory and retain their shape I wrapped them around the stems.  As soon as the stems would get 4-6' high the voles killed them. I'll finish it off with coffee grounds as voles don't seem to like area's where coffee grounds are spread. 

This lilac is  20 years old and has only bloomed 3-4 times. 

If this fails I will get some tiny land mines and surround the bush. 



No comments: