Total Pageviews

Friday, March 25, 2022

Part Of A Blog I Did For Mother Earth News And Didn't Get To Post:

 

Photos And Coat Color Do Not Define A Dog: 

Potential adopters sometimes see a dog represented on the website and that is the dog for them, their minds were made up. If people could just understand that the photo of the dog has nothing to do with its temperament, personality or behavior. Instead of zeroing in on a photo of a dog they would be better served to meet that dog and then choose.  It is a sad reality that black dogs and senior dogs aren’t as easily adopted as other dogs and often passed over. Having a black coat has nothing to do with the dog's character, personality, temperament or behavior.  


Sometimes Dogs Pick Us: 

I once transported a  dog to the rescue where I volunteered as the existing shelter could no longer care for it.  I would find ideal adopters and they would go to look at Echo but he would turn his back and have nothing to do with them. It dawned on me that he was waiting for me to come back for him. I then just wished I had brought him home when I picked him up. I should have paid more attention to what he was telling me on our 3 hour ride to the rescue. I have never seen a happier dog and he immediately bonded with our existing pack and us. Not only does the adopter have to like the dog but the dog has to also like the adopter. 


1 comment:

Pat_I said...

I wonder, if because of the prejudice against dogs with black fur, people get a different, less positive, response from the dog. Both of my granddogs have been black and their families -- including us -- have loved them without measure. Because of my experience with these two wonderful dogs, I have a preference for black dogs. Those dogs have been shown nothing but love as far as care toward them and also in the way they were disciplined. I am too old to adopt a dog -- it would not be fair to the dog as far as it could not get the care it required and a single loving home for the rest of its life -- but if I were to look for a dog, personality, not fur color, would guide me.