Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 17, 2022

Big John:


 This appeared on my Facebook page and it reminded me of when I was  a criminal investigator and one of my duties was also liaison with civilian police agencies. One of my agencies used to like to visit our office and - shoot the breeze - and on one of his visits he asked me if we had any old sets of landing lights we could spare. I asked him what he wanted with a set of landing lights and he said he wanted to mount one on his patrol car. 

I checked with our maintenance people and they said they had some that they were going to dispose of and I got one for John. Now John was a huge muscular man with a timid and compassionate heart. I have known him to pull over a drunk driver and put them in his patrol vehicle and drive them home instead of arresting them. He was strong like a bull and once went hunting with the Sheriff and they each shot a mule deer. John handed his rifle to the sheriff and put a mule deer on each shoulder and carried them both out of the woods. 

A few weeks later John came into my office to return the landing lights. I thought he had them mounted on his patrol vehicle to illuminate an accident scene but he had a real pet peeve and that was for drivers who refused to dim their lights for on coming cars. His first use was on such a vehicle and that vehicle driver was totally blinded when John turned the landing lights on and severed off the road into a ditch.  John went back and got the guy out of the ditch and back on the road and took the lights off his patrol vehicle due to the hazard it caused. 

This cartoon reminded me of Big John a compassionate deputy who was quick to give a motorist a break. If you were obstinate however John was tough to deal with. One motorist refused to get out of his vehicle when John pulled him over and grabbed the steering wheel tightly refusing to exit the vehicle. John took hold of the driver and physically pulled him from the car and arrested him for failure to comply. The guy had such a tight grip on the wheel it bent as John pulled him out of the car. John then placed him in the back of his patrol car.  It was pretty foolish to get nasty with Big John.  

No comments: