Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Mountain Benefits:


 Not everything grows at high elevation (9,800') but raspberry's do grow. How great it is to go out and pick a handful of raspberry's and the more I pick the more seem to replace them.  It is also rewarding to bring some into the house and share with Carol. 

Not everything grows however. - I'm still waiting for my zucchini to have a blossom. I planted 15 seeds and only one managed to grow and I've been nursing that plant along for 3 months. Carrots grow so slow that I only get miniatures each year but they are sure tasty and unlike the ones that come from the market. Same with beets. They grow but don't mature as soon as they normally should. I pulled one to check on it a few days ago and it was only about the size of a golf ball. 

Lettuce and spinach grow very well and we have already harvested this years crop. Rhubarb grows quite well and we have had several rhubarb/strawberry pies from our two plants. I have yet to check my potatoes but they generally do fairly well. My current and gooseberry bushes did not show any fruit this year. My mint always does well.   Growing at high elevation is always a challenge. 

No comments: