Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

True Story:

At the Daytona 500, the Goodyear blimp put "Don't Shoot" on the side of the blimp. When I see that blimp it brings back the memory of when I had waded out into a small lake in Deltona Fla. I lived on a lake at the  time but I had discovered this small lake in the back of the community that held some very large black bass. I would catch and release the bass and the smallest one I caught was over 5 pounds. 

To look at the small lake no one would imagine it held fish but I had found the exact bait that the bass wanted and it could only be properly fished if I stood in the middle of the lake with the water up to my shoulders. It was a  deadly combination on the bass and it was so much fun. There was a hazard however and that was rattlesnakes sometimes around the lake. I would carry a stick to flip them out of the way when I encountered one on the path to the lake. 

I was up to my neck in the middle of the lake one day when the Daytona 500 was going on and I heard this hum and it kept getting closer and closer. Suddenly the Goodyear blimp came directly over me with the ropes dragging along the surface of the lake. The bottom of the blimp was brushing the tops of the pine trees. It was so close that the crew came over to the windows and were smiling down at me and waving. I waved back and it was a very special moment.  It was one of those unexpected moments that last in my memory forever. 

No comments: