Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Adrenaline Rush:

Back when I was in the USAF I was coming around the end of the runway when I saw a Canadian Vulcan coming down the runway taking off. It was so different from any of our planes I stopped to watch it. Our runway was elevated at the end  and there was a 4 lane highway a few hundred yards from the end of the runway. Beyond the highway was a large open field. As the Vulcan left the end of the runway it was clear it was not going airborne. It flew over the highway and plowed down in the field. As I watched it skid to a stop a crew member came out the door and was running across the field like a world class sprinter. 

I later learned he was the crew chief and he had a compound fracture to one of his legs. The way he tore across that field you would never know he had any injury. All other crew members got out safely but the plane sustained some damage. That is what an adrenaline rush can do for you. He ran over 100 yards with a bone sticking out of his leg in  Olympic time. That was one tough Canadian crew chief. Very fast too. 
 

No comments: