Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Hat Rack:


Almost everything here has a story behind it. These antlers were provided by a traveling companion of Junior the buck deer that actually adopted us but that is another story. Junior came around with two of his traveling buddies and they would all stand outside the gate and I would go out and talk to them. I learned that deer tend to understand our intent if not some of the words we use. It was springtime and I had been out socializing with Junior and his three friends for about 20 minutes.

The one deer we ended up calling Hat Rack was standing about 3 feet from me and I told him if he would shed his antlers I would make a hat rack out of them. A couple minutes later he gave his head a shake and one of his antlers fell off. He walked about 20' away and gave his head another shake and the other one fell off. I picked them up and the photo shows the hat rack I made from them. 

I have another story about Hat Rack and that was one fall when he came around alone. Again I was out at the picnic table talking to him and I told him I was worried about Junior as he had not been around for a while. Hunting season was about to start and I wished Junior was nearby where he would be safe. Hat Rack walked off and two days later I looked out and here came Hat Rack leading Junior and another buck deer to the cabin. 

Some may call it coincidence but I believe that myself and Hat Rack had communicated and he led Junior and his other buddy back where it would be safe during hunting season. I have found that deer are pretty intelligent animals and have seen that demonstrated numerous times. 

No comments: