Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 20, 2026

Dogs Are Family:


 Having been involved in animal rescue in the past I get daily posts about dogs needing to be fostered or adopted. I wish that I could adopt more but at our senior age and our small house it is just not feasible to have more than the three we currently have. They are our family and I often see posts where dogs are starved, mistreated. abused or worse. It is clear to me that some people just should not have pets of any kind as they lack the ability to care for them and they consider them possessions instead of family members. 

I used to investigate prospective adopters and that was revealing to say the least. One well dressed woman at first looked like a good adopter but further investigation revealed she fronted for a dog fighting ring. Another adopter wanted another dog to replace the first one adopted. Her teenage son was playing ball with the dog and the dog jumped for the ball and he hit the dog in the head with the bat and killed it. He wanted another dog. He didn't get it from our rescue!  

Or the guy who adopted one of our dogs against my strong objection and immediately took it to a mountain trail and taking it for a hike without a lead and it ran off and was not heard from again. Their was zero bonding time and he blamed the dog. What I learned is not  to judge an adopter by what they say or their appearance. Some people are not good caretakers and should not have the responsibility for a dog. I could go on ad infinitum about cases like this as these are just a few examples. DOGS ARE FAMILY and if you can't treat them as such - please do not adopt. 

No comments: