Total Pageviews

Monday, August 17, 2026

Ghost Towns: T

 


During our time spent in Colorado we visited various places but this ghost town, named Bonanza was especially attractive. I thought this abandoned homestead was especially pretty. The town also had a cemetery that had graves dating back to the civil war. Many grave markers were made of wood and had decomposed to the point they couldn't be read. Some of the old buildings in town were taken over by summer residents. 

The road to Bonanza was not maintained in the winter so I didn't see any full time residents but there could have been one or two. It was clearly a mining town as a creek showed signs of pollution from  mining. Some of the old abandon mining towns were interesting to visit. One I went to had been taken over by the EPA as a super fund clean up. Walking along a creek it was sad to see the water was clear but there wasn't any life at all in the creek. 

Colorado Ghost towns are interesting and I could imagine how they must have been in their hay day. The roads to some can only be reached by hiking or a very durable 4 wheel drive. If ever in Colorado a visit to ghost towns is a worthwhile adventure. 

No comments: