I miss this time of year in the Sangre de Cristo mountains of S. Colorado when the leaves are turning color and the elk are bugling. The air has a certain smell and crispness to it and it is invigorating just to be outside. It is fall here and the trees are yet to change much but the air is crisp but I don't detect the smell of fall.
It could have something to do with the traffic and increased population. The smells are different because here people burn their leaves and the elevation is only 1800' where in Colorado we did not burn and just let the leaves decompose on the ground and the elevation was 9,800'. I don't know what to attribute it to but it could have to do with the thinner air at the higher elevation and no traffic or population but autumn smells and feels much different here and I miss experiencing it in the high country of Colorado.
Remote homesteading didn't pose a problem until we got older and had to consider having medical treatment closer than a one hour plus drive away. We have medical closer now but I still miss the high country experience. Our doctor here suddenly moved her practice to Atlanta so tomorrow we will meet our new doctor. That was less likely to have happened as in Colorado our doctor was raised in the area and not likely to move anywhere.
One advantage here is that we don't have to drive several hours to see a specialist. The disadvantage is that it may be several weeks or months to actually get in to see them. If our government goes for health care for all and run by the government it will take years to get in to see a doctor and will be a total disaster. Weeks or months is better than being given a suicide pill like I saw a woman in Canada who had been given that option.
No comments:
Post a Comment