Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 23, 2017

New Blog Coming - Check Link Below

Keep an eye out for my new blog for Mother Earth News about "High Altitude Living".  Not everyone is made for living at 9,800' elevation. The air is much thinner at this altitude and our bodies are made to function best at sea level. Some people have moved to high elevation only to find out they have altitude sickness.

Altitude sickness can be a miserable disease and if it doesn't dissipate it can lead to a terrible existence. Living in the mountains can be a wonderful experience. We have seen people move either full time or part time to the mountains who had illusions about what they were capable of. Visions of hiking our dirt roads, scaling our mountains, fishing our creeks and streams etc. all when they lack the ability to do any of these things at sea level.

Being realistic about abilities and being prone to altitude sickness can dash those misconceptions and dreams here at high elevation. Keep an eye out for the next blog....

Just posted today - http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-and-environment/living-at-high-altitude-zbcz1702

3 comments:

Gypsy said...

I have always preferred approximately 4000 to 6 or 7000 ft, and found Asheville NC just perfect for me. My hat's off to you if you can live at your chosen altitude.

Anna T said...

A fascinating and informative post! Something to keep in mind if we ever end up living higher up. And that sunset picture is glorious.

Anonymous said...

Well, good point, thought of that too. During my trip up there last month I flew from sea level to Colorado Springs and then drove up to Fort Garland at about 7,500 ft on the same day. I did through an "adjustment" where I was feeling a little off and had a very mild headache. I took everyone's advice and drank LOTS of water. The next morning at the lodge a long hot bath seemed to really help to snap me back to feeling fine, I did ignore the "no coffee" advice, but continued drinking LOTS of water.
My younger daughter and I went to Ecuador in 2010, stayed in Cuenca at 8,000 feet for a week then went hiking for 3 hours up at 12,000 feet on the last day with no problem... other than taking it slow because we were off trail. So I am hoping the seven years has not changed my having some level of tolerance for altitude : ) Barbara