Total Pageviews

Friday, December 28, 2018

Missing Bozley

Bozley had his stroke and was gone so fast that we were in shock for several days. Bozley was the healthiest of all three of our fur family and even though he was getting old he kept on going like the energizer bunny. As the days go by we miss him even more.

We often eat on TV trays in the living room and the kitchen is in the back of the house. Bozley would lay down on a flat dog bed near me with his favorite ball and I would ask him if my supper was ready yet. He would jump up, run to the kitchen and come back barking if it were ready. A little game (among many) we would play each afternoon.

It seems now that he is gone we miss the little things he did every day that kept us entertained. Both Bozwell and Echo miss him too. The photo below is Bozley and Echo hunkered down in the kitchen staying safe from the thunder.

Yesterday I took a couple dog beds, two cartons of canned dog food, sheets, and a large garbage bag of squeaky toys to the shelter. While there I noticed three German Shepherds (2 males, 1 female) and it was all I could do not to bring all three home. They were all 2 years old and one was a stray and two came from a puppy mill. Being young their enthusiasm would bump into Bozwell and Echo and could seriously harm them with their cauda equina.

  As I looked around I saw mostly a shelter that was full of two year old dogs.  I don''t understand how people can keep a dog for two years and then surrender them to a shelter where it is likely they will be euthanized. One was a friendly dog that did not have a collar and was picked up as a stray. Take his collar off and dump him somewhere and leave. People simply don't understand that to adopt a dog is a life time commitment to the dog not an adoption for short time convenience. It is sad going to a shelter and leaving any dog behind with tears in my eyes over the sad feelings I have for them. They had a home and now don't and they don't understand why. As I was leaving a person was carrying in another dog to surrender. I could tell from the man's look he was giving the dog up. Incredibly sad........

1 comment:

Pam K said...

It's hard losing a member of our family especially when it is so sudden. We lost our Molly cat going on three years now and I still get a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes when I think of her, which is often. I have a hard time going to a shelter too. It just breaks my heart to see all those dogs and cats with no people to call their own. I couldn't imagine ever giving up one of my pets. It would have to be something pretty extreme for me to do so.