Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Fire Weed

 The top photo shows one of three hummingbird feeders that had every port full and the hummers were tanking up for their long trip to Mexico. We had about 40-50 hummingbirds and then the population dwindled down to about 5 and then they were gone too.
This is fire weed that we allow to grow next to the house as the bee's and hummingbirds like to get the pollen and nectar from the flowers. It has finished its blooms and is now spreading seeds on the wind. Most people would cut it down much earlier but as long as the bees and birds are getting use from it we let it grow. Now that they have left it we cut it down (not pull it out) and it will come back next spring again. Much of the seed has already spread on the wind so each year we end up with more for the bees and birds.

Just another sign that we are closing in on winter. I saw a photo yesterday that was taken two years ago where the aspen leaves were various hue's of red and yellow. This year they are just falling off the trees and so far no change of color. I can only suspect that the intense heat from the wildfire last year has disrupted them somewhat. This year they are producing a sticky substance that coats everything under or around them and there are thousands of new trees sprouting up everywhere. Where all this will lead with the aspen trees is a mystery to me.

3 comments:

Gypsy said...

I got a lot of migrating birds to my feedees when I lived in North Carolina. I don't know what they don't come around me here, but Sacramento must not be on their flyway. Maybe I have too many jays around. I love reading about your fall and winter approaching, especially since the temps here are right up next to 100! I'm looking forward to the cool down.

Lazydazer said...

Aspen leaf drop could be caused by Marssonine infection.

Sticky aspen leaves caused by aphids excreting “honeydew”.

Bruce said...

Thank you Lazydazer: We have been puzzled over the sticky leaf drop. That helps us understand the possible cause...