Total Pageviews

Monday, March 28, 2022

Little Incidents Often Forgotten:

 


When I lived in Tallahassee, Fla. I was involved in a Christian Movement called Cursillo. Cursillo was a three day weekend for other Christians with 15 mini lessons in Christianity.  It was put on by lay volunteers and two priests where about 30 men were invited to the weekend. They did not know who the volunteers were and the volunteers were the ones who provided the talks over the weekend. 

I had worked several before this weekend, most talks followed a suggested pattern. I am not an especially good speaker but I can give a suitable presentation. One talk that was the main weekend featured talk was called piety. That talk is where the speaker can follow their own guideline and talk from the heart. Because the talk is not scripted it is carefully analyzed for content by the two people in charge of the weekend and the two priests. I was aware that previous piety talks were critiqued and rewritten numerous times aided by those in charge for the speaker. They were closely securitized.

There are three volunteer sessions prior to the actual weekend where speakers are appointed and they can practice their presentation. Before the three sessions the two people in charge of the weekend spend hours and days praying over who will give which talk. I got a call from the man in charge and he said they  had been praying over and over and my name repeatedly keep coming up for the piety talk. It was a 15-20 minute talk and could I get one together to present to those in charge by the second work session. 

Then I started praying and when the time came I had nothing to present.  I was told to be sure to have it by the next and final work session. A couple days before the due date I still had nothing and I was praying in earnest by now. Finally I sat down in front of my old manual typewriter and told the Lord I needed something to present - it was now or they would have to find someone else. 

I started typing and the words just flowed. I ended up with a 20 minute talk. I made appropriate copies and went off to the last volunteer meeting. I had one personal  practice time, then they called me into a conference room to give the two men in charge and two priests the talk. I gave the talk and they all just sat there silent with no interruptions or suggestions. They usually took notes for the critique but I just got stares. There was total silence for several minutes when they just looked at me and each other and no one said a word. To say I was nervous was to put it mildly. 

Finally the lead Priest asked me to leave the room and wait outside. I didn't know what to think but went and sat on a bench outside for what seemed an eternity. Finally the priest came out and told me that talk moved them all greatly and he personally wished he knew Jesus like I did. He told me to not change a word in the talk and give it exactly like I just presented it to them. I didn't know what to say because I knew who had given me those words and to actually be able to see the priests and two strong Christians moved just overwhelmed me. 

This is what I refer to a  small life incident but I will never forget it because after the talk I learned it changed lives including the candidates and leadership. To be used by my Lord like that still leaves me speechless but it is a story that needs telling.  It is very humbling to be able to speak on behalf of someone you love with all your heart. It may be a little thing in the length of ones life and could easily be forgotten but not for me. I spoke those words but they were  not mine - they were given to me. 

This is an absolute true story and as I write this I am still humbled today. In all my years of life I couldn't write those words on my own accord yet today. They were given to me by my very best friend and I was glad to share him with others so they could see Him as I do.....I guess he moved hearts that day and I was glad to be used by Him.  

Sometimes it is the little incidents that actually end up being the important moments in a persons life. Never to be forgotten. 

3 comments:

David said...

Thanks for the encouragement! God is amazing!

Kathryn Arnold said...

That's beautiful. Were they words to be sealed from the public at large?

Bruce said...

They were God inspired words and those are never hidden from anyone.