Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 31, 2022

The Story Of The Drunken Squirrel::


 When we lived in N. Florida we took a weekend to go camping at Torreya State Park one weekend. We went to relax and rest and we had our string hammocks strung between the torreya trees.  I was reading a book and heard a thump. I looked around and only saw a squirrel sitting on the ground. 

A few minutes later I heard another thump and again just a squirrel sitting on the ground. I stopped reading and watched the squirrel and it sat in place for a couple minutes and then ran over and scampered up the torreya tree to a vine and went across the vine.  

The closer I looked I noticed that vines went from tree to tree and even closer examination revealed the vines were scuppernog grape vines as I could see the grapes. The squirrel would grab a grape and eat away and then I saw it slowly just fall over and fall to the ground. There was probably 6-8" of pine needles on the ground and it would land with a thump. 

The squirrel would lay there a few minutes and then get up, go over to the tree and repeat the process. I watched this happen several times and realized that those scuppernongs had fermented and the squirrel would eat them until  it got good and drunk and fall off the vine to the soft needles below. It fell quite a distance but I guess the buzz was worth it. That is my drunken squirrel story and it still brings a smile to my face today as I write this. 

No comments: