Total Pageviews

Monday, September 19, 2022

Old vs New:


 I don't get to town much anymore but today I went in with Carol so she could have her throat checked. One visit and her problem was resolved. I watched the younger people in the waiting room all glued to their cell phones and wondered how they would have dealt with pocket transistor radios in my days.

Those little radios had an antenna that would pick up signals somewhere in your neighborhood and city. I learned to attach a small wire to the antenna and hang it our my bedroom window to get stations further away. I would listen to the Detroit Tigers or the Red Wings while I did my homework. Detroit was 90 miles away and without that wire I couldn't pick them up.
I listened to the play by play until I went into the military and saw the play in my mind. I finally got to see them play the Ducks the year the Ducks finally were a NHL team. It was the Ducks first game ever. What a treat!
When I was in the USAF I was stationed in Bermuda. They had an island TV station that was on for maybe 4 hours a day. The little wire trick helped me get an USA station from NYC that played 50's music. Murray DeKay at 1010 WINs and his swinging saury. I would hook my little wire up to the nose gear of the aircraft and I could get a ton of channels. We would be dancing around our aircraft while we listened to a NYC channel.
I don't think those younger people now a days would have survived with just a little pocket size transistor radio. Todays younger folks would stare at the radio until they went brain dead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uhm...That's Murray the K. "...Murray Kaufman (February 14, 1922 – February 21, 1982), professionally known as Murray the K, was an influential New York City rock and roll impresario and disc jockey of the 1950s, '60s and '70s. During the early days of See more." I lived in NJ and could pick him up without the extra wire. - SusanG.