Total Pageviews

Monday, March 6, 2023

Animal Rescue Experience:


I volunteered for an animal rescue for several years and that was an eye opening experience. Currently there are over 3 million dogs in shelters and rescues. My job was to investigate applicants and either recommend them for a dog or deny them. When denied it was not personal against them but due to the fact that their circumstances did not warrant adopting a dog out to them. Like the photo says above - every dog deserves a home but not every home deserves a dog. 

When an 85 year old couple wanted to adopt only a puppy that would not happen. The odds that the dog would outlive them is more than likely and what happens to the dog then? It will go to a shelter in most circumstances. We adopted out only when the benefit would go to the dog. I also did not approve those adopting in order to give the dog to someone else. We would have no idea what that person was like or if they even wanted a dog.  


My background was such that I was suited to investigate potential adopters. I was trained to investigate criminal cases in the military and had very good instructors. My immediate superiors were excellent and I had FBI training as well as local police and sheriff training. The applicant would have to provide information on their past adoptions and references. It was amazing how some of the references they listed did not recommend them for adoption.  There was a host of things I would look for and the applicants never knew how closely we checked them out. Just because they were nice people did not help them - it was strictly whether they were capable adopters and smarter than the dog.
 

I recall some cases that were so glaring that they stuck with my memory. We did not adopt to those who  would transport their dogs in the bed of pickups. A guy applied one time who admitted to transporting in the bed of his pickup and actually had his prior dog fly out of the bed and fractured its pelvis. Or the family who wanted a replacement dog as their teenage son was playing ball with the dog and he tossed the ball up and the dog jumped to get the ball at the same time he swung his bat and he hit the dog and killed it. 

Or the guy who wanted a certain dog to enhance his status and even though I did not recommend him the owner of the rescue gave him a dog anyway. He left the rescue and took the dog for a hike in the mountains off leash and the dog ran off and he left him. He may have spent a half hour with the dog - not enough time to bond. Adopters must be smarter than the dog!

Some people really stick out as very poor risks to adopt. Others are excellent dog parents. It was my job to distinguish the difference as a dog's future was clearly at stake. I wanted to be completely sure that the adopter was a good fit and could provide a suitable home for the dog. A dog is a long term commitment and the adopter should fully understand that. Some applicants would try to deceive and outright lie and I dug deep enough into their lives to reveal the truth. 

I just wish all rescues and shelters would examine applicants closer and not just try to move dogs.  Dogs give us 100% and they deserve safe and loving homes. They are loyal and loving until their final breath and we need to be equally loyal and caring for them too. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was a newspaper correspondent I was doing a story on a local rescue run by a crusty retired doctor. While I was there a couple came to leave their dog. They began stumbling and stuttering over their reasons for abandoning their pet.

The doctor held up his hand like a stop sign and in the ensuing quiet he said, "I'll take your dog. I won't take your guilt."

SG