Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 7, 2023

History:


 Sunray DX Oil Company dates back to the 1930's and merged with Sunoco in 1968. My dad had a DX station before I was born and sold before I was born. He either sold or abandoned it sometime during the great depression. I remember a large box of these invoices in our attic and from what I could reconstruct when I was older was that he gave a lot of credit to customers and when the depression ended they did not pay him. He either lost or sold the building. Today it is a restaurant.

I do recall that one of my classmates from Kindergarten to High School only lived 1 1/2 blocks from us. His dad had an Indianapolis 500 car that he raced. When my dad had the DX station his dad was my dad's mechanic except when he was racing in the Indy 500. I recall seeing that racer parked outside my classmates garage but back then I really didn't have a concept of  how big that race was. The car looked similar to the one below. 



Seeing the current Indy 500 race cars on TV reminded me of just how old I am. I still think those old race cars were pretty cool. Going through some old records I found a sheet of my dad's old invoice forms. I don't recall all those people ever paying my dad. 

No comments: