Several year ago before I retired our company insured a lady and her home. Her maid had fallen in her home and broken her arm and I ended up with the medical claim. I liked Elizabeth from the first time I called on her. Her maid had been with her for more years than they could count due to the crippling arthritis that plagued Elizabeth.
Elizabeth had hands that actually looked worse than those in the photo above. Normally a claim like this would be handled by mail but I made it a point to go by to pick up the medical bills to see Elisabeth as I learned she did not have many visitors. She had a daughter who lived across town but she never came to see Elizabeth.
The final bills came just around Christmas and I went by to pay them. Elizabeth ask her maid to get me some of the Christmas cookies they made and a glass of milk. She then invited me to come into her parlor and have a seat. Elizabeth had a baby grand piano in her parlor and she sat down at the piano and with those crippled fingers played me a medley of Christmas carol's.
She played them without a I flaw and it had to be painful to play carol after carol with those fingers which she struggled to control. I sat there for about 20 minutes listening to her play flawlessly some of the best Christmas music I had ever hear. Elizabeth gave me a gift that has lasted me a lifetime and I don't think I have ever had a more precious or wonderful gift.
No comments:
Post a Comment