We all should have just one good fish story but since I have fished all kind of water over the years, I have many. One is when I lived in Ft. Myers, Fla. I would be out working and often I would stop and buy a sandwich and go watch other people fish and while I ate my lunch.
One day I was enjoying my lunch by a bridge watching this guy anchored under the bridge toss a line over with a big chunk of bait on it. He almost immediately got a bite and he broke his rod trying to get the fish off the bottom. After a temper tantrum and a lot of loud cussing he said he would be back no fish was going to get the best of him.
Sure enough he was back in a few minutes with a winch clamped on the transom of his boat. He had a cable on the winch and a heavy duty leader with a huge hook loaded with bait and over it went. He pushed the retrieve button on the winch and sure enough the cable tightened and the back of his boat was pulled down steadily and he failed to stop the winch which pulled the back of his boat under water and it sunk fast.
He swam to shore and climbed up sputtering and cussing and left. I stifled a laugh as did the others around that witnessed what just happened. My lunch time was over but my guess was that winch pulled that boat right down and snug to the bottom. No doubt he hooked into a very large grouper because when there was a local fish fry this is the place groups would go to get a grouper to feed many people.
There were grouper 500 pounds and larger that came out from under that bridge. Just telling this story gets me to laugh all over again.
No comments:
Post a Comment